7 Fast Farm Facts
Are you entertaining family and friends during the holidays? Even though you probably never run out of things to talk about, I’ve recapped 7 farm facts that Jessie Scott writes about on agriculture.com. You could use these to start a conversation or impress your guests! Here they are:
- The International Federation of Robotics states that more than 25,000 field or agriculture robots will be sold by 2015 – about the same as robots for military use.
- Monsanto says women take the lead on more than 1 million (roughly 30%) U.S. farms.
- According to George D. Freier (Weather Proverbs), if a turkey’s feathers are very thick at Thanksgiving, expect a hard winter.
- IEEE Spectrum reports that a typical U.S. dairy cow provides more than four times as much milk as its 1950’s counterpart.
- Ohio State University declares that cover crops may reduce nutrient and pesticide runoff by 50% or more.
- The results of a Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate Baby Boomers Survey shows that 39% of baby boomers would like to move to a rural community when they retire.
- A Successful Farming Research Panel reports that 1 in 5 farmers own a smartphone and a tablet.
There you go – things to talk about at the dinner table or after you’ve taken your afternoon nap. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
-Terry Olson, Titan Outlet Store